Sir Edwin T. Smith KCMG.
(1878 - 1919)
A place in ET’s heart
Sir Edwin Thomas Smith was patron of Norwood from the club’s first day in 1878 until his last, Christmas Day 1919. In that time Sir Edwin, or “ET”, was a successful businessman and brewer, Lord Mayor of Adelaide, a member of State Parliament and a benefactor of many sports in South Australia.
His kindness towards most levels of society was legendary in his own lifetime, but a special place in his heart was reserved for Norwood. He made private gifts and donations, in 1898 averted a club financial crisis, and on his 80th birthday paid 2000 pounds so the freehold of Norwood Oval could be handed over to the local community.
More than any other individual, Sir Edwin ensured that the club built its early sporting life on solid foundations. His contribution is honoured with the Sir Edwin T. Smith Stand at the southern end of Norwood Oval, and remembered with the many stories of his generosity to Norwood players.
A keen student of the game, Sir Edwin was so impressed with Anthony “Bos” Daly’s 23 goals from 28 shots against Adelaide in 1893, mainly scored with place kicks off his cap, that he gave the young goalsneak a handsome commemorative tankard - and we assume a new cap.