Charlie Barrett joined Norwood in 1880. His full name was Edward Charles Barrett, although he was known to his family as Charlie. It is likely that he was also called Charlie during his time with the Redlegs, as he was consistently noted in club records as C Barrett.
Charlie was born in Portland, Victoria, in January, 1860. He grew up in South Australia, at Port MacDonnell and later Mount Gambier, where his father, Abraham Field Barrett, was manager of Must & Co, merchants and shipping agents.
Charlie’s brothers, John and Hugh Barrett, played with the Mount Gambier Football Club in the late 1870’s, and it is possible that Charlie also turned out with the Mount Gambier team before moving to Adelaide.
Charlie played senior football with Port Adelaide in 1879, and was one of Port’s best in its intercolonial match against Geelong, at Adelaide Oval on 21 July.
He then transferred to Norwood, and made a major contribution as a member of the 1880 and 1881 premiership teams. Match reports suggest that he played as a follower and forward, and that he was a very capable kick for goal.
In 1885, he was awarded life membership of the Norwood Football Club.
Charlie worked as a grocer and fruiterer. In July 1884, he married Emma Foweraker, and they made their home in First Avenue, St Peters.
By 1910, Charlie and Emma had moved to Richmond. They subsequently purchased a two acre property in Davenport Terrace, not far from the future site of Richmond Oval.
Charlie Barrett died on 28 October, 1933, at the age of 73.
C Lane May 2018